Saturday 24 December 2011

The Stranger at My Door (a novel gift idea and it's cheap too - Give more of ourselves)

He came upon the midnight clear
A tap, tap tapping at my door;
On this coldest night of the year,
A man I’d never seen before.

“Come, come in, sit beside the fire,”
I said, letting the stranger in.
And by the glow I saw how dire
And pitiful I can’t begin.

Life for certain hadn’t been kind,
That in itself was pretty clear;
Now on top of that, he was blind,
And I wondered how he got here.

By the fire I gave him a seat
And a smile crossed his weathered face,
Then instantly he fell asleep,
And I shrugged and gave him space.

No answers would be told tonight,
It was quite obvious to see,
The stranger by my fire you’re right
Would remain a mystery to me.

So off to my bed wandered I;
With a blanket I left him there.
Perhaps in the morning I’d try,
And maybe then with me he’d share.

But in the morning he was gone,
While I assumed the night he’d spent,
And I wondered the short and long;
What if anything it all meant?

And though this happened last week,
Here I’m thinking on Christmas Eve;
Upon it now I’m bound to speak,
For something more I do believe.

And though that stranger got away,
And of his life I’ll never know;
Friends and family starting today,
More of an interest I will show.

No comments:

Post a Comment