Friday 23 December 2011

Candy Cane

A candy cane on a Christmas tree,
Hanging amongst the tinsel and lights;
And from a child's eye were I to see,
Reach I would for its high heights.

For a promise made is Christmas Day,
But child's time runs so terribly slow;
Yes, mere days seem like months away,
And to that candy cane I'd never grow.

Now like a carrot held to a horse,
This good boy watched it dangle there;
But what it is, that inner force,
That in forbidden fruit we always dare.

And to have that candy cane I must,
For such heights I was destined to reach;
And sure I reasoned it was all unjust -
There are some lessons you just can't teach.

And so I climbed my way to the top,
Past the candy cane to the star;
For what it's worth I couldn't stop -
I mean after all I'd come so far.

And in that crash I remember well,
As beneath that tree I lay there flat;
This kid unlike George Washington to tell,
Was oh so thankful we owned a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment