Thursday 13 October 2011

The Salesgirl at the Jewelry Store

The salesgirl at the jewelry store
Had a sophisticated air,
And kind of like the cabinets before,
She held me with her glassy stare.

Dressed she was in the finest clothes,
A princess I was pretty sure,
So like the bobbles I suppose,
She sparkled radiant and pure.

Now her indifference here to tell,
She seemed to judge me in a glance,
And though I wasn’t dressed that well,
She never gave me half a chance.

Till the pricey counter I got near,
Then it was she began to stir,
Suddenly fawning it would appear,
When I asked how much the diamonds were.

Now what a change in attitude
As the diamond rings I went through,
You should have heard the platitudes
When I got down to the final few.

Until after two hours spent,
I just got up and walked away.
Her phoniness I had to vent,
And for her diamonds I’d never pay.

And so in my farewell bidding,
For I’d enough of her foolery,
I said, “Who do you think you’re kidding?
You’re nothing but costume jewelry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment