Monday 9 January 2012

Davy Crockett

I guess the first hero I ever had
Most surely was dear old Dad,
But when I was six on the TV set,
There he was Davy Crockett.
Yeah, king of the wild frontier,
And a new hero it was clear.
Born on a table top in Tennessee,
Hell, he killed a ‘bar’ when he was only three.

Now at six I’d done nothing like that,
But I sure wanted me a coon skin cap.
Yeah, like Davy Crockett I could be,
But I lived in Montreal you see,
And there weren’t no ‘bars’ around,
I know ‘cause I looked all over town.
But like yesterday I can’t forget,
A true hero was Davy Crockett.

Now here I stand outside the Alamo,
Where the years have gone I don’t know,
But for me it is a pretty big deal,
And Davy Crockett’s spirit I can feel.
Yeah, at the Alamo where he died,
For Crockett and my youth I cried,
And ‘Remember the Alamo’ I say aloud,
Here in Texas with the well endowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment