Friday 13 January 2012

'Away'

In a sou'wester hat and oilskin bright,
"Are you from away?" He said to me;
In the bay just beyond the bight,
He surely seemed a man of the sea.

"Away,' I thought what does he mean?
And then I realized - 'not from here'.
So I nodded feeling a little green
As through the cut I watched him steer.

And he grinned at me, all knowing,
In a sympathetic sort of way;
His weathered face and his pipe glowing
As I tossed my cookies into the bay.

"Aye, it will be a good day fishing,
The lobster like that kind of bait."
While of course for death I was wishing
As he chuckled at my sorry state.

But in that spring in northern Maine,
On that rocky coast of fog and cold;
There it was a man I became
Upon those seas tossed and rolled.

And the greatest thing I'll not pretend
Are the words I never heard him say;
But there it was at season's end,
I was no longer from 'away'.

No comments:

Post a Comment