Saturday 26 November 2011

Ode on a Frite Pit

‘Patate a vingt cinq ou patate a quinze.’
Those bargain prices when I was a lad,
And with either size you needed two hands;
For a bigger bag have you ever had?

And to those Summer days lost and dreamy,
Before Cholesterol and inflation;
With a patate a quinze and a steamy,
At the frite pit I spent my vacation.

And carefree me and my buddies quipping,
With salt, vinegar and onions heaping;
While from those huge bags greasy and dripping,
Such memories are surely worth keeping.

And to look upon those days long gone by,
Where many roads I have travelled from there;
And of world cuisine I have chanced to try -
Still I’m coming back to Rue St. Pierre.

Yes, haute cuisine from gay Paris to Rome;
I’ve seen the other - the glamour and glitz.
But I can tell you there’s no place like home,
And a heaping bag of them greasy frites.

No comments:

Post a Comment