Tuesday 1 November 2011

23 Skidoo

I saw a man in a muskrat coat
Who said, “23 skidoo!”
And I clicked the remote
As the channels I flicked through.

But there he was on channel 10
In that muskrat coat looking back at me,
And I kept going back again,
The muskrat coat guy wouldn’t leave me be.

And with a pennant so he waved,
From the twenties he seemed to be.
“Rah, Rah,” he said, “And you’ll be saved!”
Now sitting inside a Ford Model T

“Saved from what?” I asked the TV.
And you’ll not believe it but it’s true,
The muskrat coat guy answered me,
Saying again, “23 skidoo!”

“What the hell does that mean?” I said.
Just as he swallowed a gold fish,
Then throwing back his head,
He said to me, “Make a wish.”

So all my wishes I went through,
And there were 23 to choose from.
And once again he said, “23 skidoo.”
But still I had to pick just one.

And of all my wishes, who knew,
I said, “I’d like to become a flapper!”
And we both cried, “23 skidoo!”
As I flushed this poem down the crapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment