Wednesday 28 March 2012

The Old Man in the Window

The old man in the window
Kind of caught me by surprise;
A reflection so very slow,
I recognized those drooping eyes.

On that busy street I swear to God
Outside that store when it struck me,
That was me that sorry sod,
And when so old did I get to be?

A million times I’d walked that street,
Light of foot and young at heart,
But then it was I’d chance to meet,
In that window this older fart.

And kid myself I could no more,
The proof was in the window there;
Holy crap outside that store,
I knew it was impolite to stare ….

But damn it I was caught off guard
Was that old man really me?
And though I looked long and hard
In the end I knew it couldn’t be.

Now in windows I don’t look
For to reflect there are other ways,
And to that old man I mistook,
Happily inward I’ll keep my gaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment